Research Scientist: Synthetic Chemistry
Location: Bactevo Ltd., The Merrifield Centre, Rosemary Lane, Cambridge - UK
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package, related to experience & qualifications
Bactevo Ltd. is a Cambridge, UK based biotech developing ground-breaking technologies for drug discovery. We are looking for an experienced, versatile practical scientist to join our dynamic, multi-disciplinary team. The role will be focused on creating large medicinally designed synthetic libraries using our proprietary chemistry technology within our innovative integrated TIME drug discovery platform. You will possess strong practical synthetic chemistry skills, ideally also a medicinal chemistry background and be able to provide technical input for external partners.
You will be familiar with the use of standard analytical equipment in order to develop and optimise synthetic reactions and be familiar with parallel or combinatorial library techniques to prepare lead-like therapeutic compounds. Experience in small molecule compound characterisation as well as purification plus an ability to streamline and simplify processes is crucial. Experience of working in a fast-paced drug discovery would be an advantage and the ability to work across disciplines. If this sounds like you, then this will be an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and versatile company enhancing your experience at the cutting edge of drug discovery.
A Synthetic Chemist with a strong track record in reaction logistics planning of arrays either in solution or on solid support; trouble shooting reactions using various analytical techniques. You are a motivated, independent scientist seeking to apply your skills to drug discovery by exploiting, expanding and developing the scope of Bactevo’s next-generation compound library technology to accelerate the creation of therapeutic leads.
- Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- PhD/Post-Doc or equivalent industrial experience in either synthetic, medicinal or combinatorial chemistry.
- Experience in creating compound arrays, split and mix, encoded libraries or solid supported chemistry would be an advantage.
- Use of analytical tools for reaction optimisation and trouble-shooting, HPLC, LC-MS, NMR, IR instruments and interpreting resulting analytical data
- A strong background in synthetic chemistry, experience with a wide range of reaction types and developing novel methods and synthetic routes.
- Experience with one of the following techniques is desirable, use of microfluidics, experience with DNA sequencing, or running biological assays, computational chemistry.
- Essential Skills / Attributes
- High level of attention to detail is essential
- Passion for science and a problem-solving attitude, with a creative flare
- Good interpersonal/communication skills, ability to work independently and in a team
- An adaptable team player capable of working to tight deadlines and exacting standards
- Strong organisational skills including ability to prioritise and work under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and apply new concepts and techniques
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter by email to email@example.com. Candidates may be called for interview prior to the closing date of 15th February, as we wish to fill this position rapidly